09 10

09 July 2012

On Learning to Count


Introducing Teen Numbers with Cuisenaire Rods from Education Unboxed on Vimeo.

We didn't use rods or Miquon when I was teaching Monkey how to count; I didn't know about them yet. But I love the way it's done  in this video (And what a cool table! How cool that the little girl gets to look at her exciting new discovery from all those angles!) One thing that I noticed as I was watching this clip is how nicely the Mom waits. I don't think I was that good at waiting through the faces and sillies that go with teaching a precocious child. I do think that my little Dragon will be ready for this sort of work early - he loves to "use" the rods while Monkey's working, and will often pile them up and then tell me "Eighteen!" Don't ask my why he loves that number; I have no idea. I must remember to keep my trap shut enough to let him actually figure it out, like this mom did. Hats off to her!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin