09 10

21 June 2014

A Summer of Freedom!



Welcome to the Summer of Freedom! My goal is to post something about freedom every couple of days all summer long, and I'm excited! To start with, I wanted to share this quote from Elder Benson. It's a big statement, but one that the Doctrine and Covenants bears out:


According to the laws and constitution of the people, which I have suffered to be established, and should be maintained for the rights and protection of all flesh, according to just and holy principles; That every man may act in doctrine and principle pertaining to futurity, according to the moral agency which I have given unto him, that every man may be accountable for his own sins in the day of judgment. Therefore, it is not right that any man should be in bondage one to another. And for this purpose have I established the Constitution of this land, by the hands of wise men whom I raised up unto this very purpose, and redeemed the land by the shedding of blood.
-Doctrine and Covenants 101:77-80 (emphasis added)


It makes sense to me that when we are evaluating the Constitutionality of measures proposed one of the things we should bear in mind is the way that the measure would affect the agency of the people. If it is not in harmony with the purposes for which the Lord set up the Constitution to serve, then it probably is not a good measure and should be opposed as something that is not in harmony with the principles of the document.

I look forward to looking more closely at the principles that underlie the Constitution over the next few weeks!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin