09 10

29 March 2017

#PrinceOfPeace: Scripture

Finding peace and joy through the words of the #PrinceofPeace in the scriptures. #PrinciplesofPeace


I don't remember the question anymore, but I remember what my Dad told me: the answers to the important questions are in the scriptures. Go to the scriptures. It may take time to find them, but I don't have wait for someone else to answers and show them to me: I can go to them myself, and I can search out the answers to the questions that are important to me.

This changed my life.

Up to that point, I'd been rather passive, waiting for someone to tell me what is in the scriptures. Partly, this was because I was young: it's not unexpected for a child to rely on her trusted adults to teach her. But my dad taught me to act, rather than waiting for someone else to do it for me. He taught me that my questions are important enough for the Lord to answer them. That conversation taught me that I am strong enough to seek my own answers, capable enough (even though I was young at the time) to understand what the scriptures say and what the Holy Ghost teaches.

He was also teaching me the value of scripture itself; I don't think that you can overstate the value of scripture.

Studying history with my kids, one of the things I've learned more about is the heroes and martyrs of the Reformation. Some of them are names known to many - William Tyndale, for instance, who did the first translation of the Bible into English, and was martyred for his work. Other names are not so famous: many common people sacrificed to possess even a few pages of Tyndale's translation -- and some of them died for their sacrifice. I found myself wondering: would I have been willing to take their risks, to make their sacrifices, to pay their cost, in order to have the scriptures? We live in a time and place where scripture is inexpensive or free, and plentiful. We have copies in our home for all of the members of the family, in as many languages as we care to have, both print copies, searchable electronic copies, and audio copies. We mark and use up our books, and then we replace them. And we do it all without fear.

It is a luxury that our forefathers could not have imagined.



Since that conversation with my Dad I've grown up, moved out, and I've got a family of my own. I've turned to the scriptures to try to find comfort in grief, strength to get through challenges, and wisdom to know how to try to help others. In the pages of my scriptures I've learned to find the Lord's love for me.

Verily I say unto you my friends, fear not, let your hearts be comforted; yea, rejoice evermore, and in everything give thanks...
-Doctrine and Covenants 98:1


In the scriptures, I've learned that the joy promised to the Lord's people is not some dim, distant future thing, but can be joy in the present tense, joy in the mist of trial, joy that comes from knowing God's love, and feeling the reality of the Lord's tender mercies.


But let all those that put their trust in thee rejoice: let them ever shout for joy, because thou defendest them: let them also that love thy name be joyful in thee. For thou, Lord, will bless the righteous; with favor wilt thou compass him as with a shield.
-Psalm 5:11-12

Now it's my turn to teach my own children to love the scriptures, to turn to the Lord, and to search His words for the answers to the difficult questions they do and will face. It's my job to let them see me search the scriptures, and working to conform my life to the things they teach: regardless of the cost.

It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word which proceedeth out of the mouth of God.
-Matthew 4:3




Learn the #PrinciplesofPeace from the #PrinceofPeace mormon.org


No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin