09 10

17 November 2017

Science Project: Dissection of a Chicken Timer

 My chicken timer died. Quite a while back, actually. We turned it into a homeschool science project.

homeschool science project

It occurred to me that it could be useful one last time.

homeschool science project

So we took it apart. The kids did almost everything. Little things like this build confidence and skills using real tools, so I tried not to do any more than absolutely necessary.

homeschool science project

It was pretty surprising how many little bits and pieces there were inside.

homeschool science project

And how many of them were super fragile; no wonder it didn't last real long.

homeschool science project

We didn't know enough to be able to make it ring on purpose.

homeschool science project

Or even to really tell what parts the different thingers played. There seemed to be two springs, which surprised me. I think that this larger one was the one that would coil when we'd set the time.

homeschool science project

The second spring was really just a tiny wire; I have no idea what it did.

homeschool science project

But the other was much more substantial.

homeschool science project

It wasn't very happy when we tried to pull it off: it was attached firmly at both ends.

homeschool science project

Looked cool, though, uncoiled. And it stayed attached.

homeschool science project

It took a few minutes; more time that I'd suspected it would. But it was a lot of fun. It's a little tempting to get a working one, and see if we can't figure out more about it if we take apart one that works properly still.

homeschool science project


1 comment:

Linda Sears said...

Real life education happening, right there! I enjoyed your post - it made me relive many memories of "let's find out" with my own children. Thank you for sharing!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin