09 10

04 November 2009

Frosting Class



I'm taking a cake decorating class. Not just any decorating, either: fondant. The very pretty stuff. No seams. Life-like flowers. Tons of gear. This is what it all looked like before I packed it up to take to class tonight.



This is what it looked like after I packed it. I should have put it in two bags. There is just.too.much. in that bag. Monkey was very concerned about what I was doing with "his" rolling pin. Because obviously I bought it for him!

I learned several things this evening:

1. I learned, at least in theory, how to cover a cake with fondant. I say in theory because I practiced this skill on cardboard circles, and did not "glue" the fondant down with regular icing. But I'm supposed to take a cake, already covered, to class next week, so I guess I'll be finding out how well this took.

2. I learned how to make something called a "carnation base." These are not pictured: we left them at class to dry until next week. They did look pretty cool though.

3. I learned to make a daisy. See below.

4. I learned to make a calla lily, also below. This was extremely easy and a "freebie" because it wasn't on the official Wilton syllabus.

5. I learned to make that peony-looking flower which they said was a sort of romantic made-up flower, and not really based on anything, but looks pretty much just like the peonies that I dug out of my yard and gave away.

6. I learned that fondant really does taste as bad as they say it does. Plus, it gets so hard that you can bang it on the table. Makes a good tap-tap noise when you do it. It's pretty, but it's only sort of food.

6 comments:

misskate said...

Very cool! Those flowers look really good!

Keeley said...

Wowsers! You go girl! That's impressive.

Dianna said...

Wow, how fun is that? I've always wanted to take a class like that. I've only eaten fondant once . . . and that was enough. Ick. You're right, it's only sort of food. Good way to put it!

Ritsumei said...

You know, the funny thing is, so far it isn't difficult at all. I just looks impressive and it takes a lot of gear. It's fun, though at this moment I'm feeling like it's a lot of effort for something that's not terribly edible. Though the flowers are amazing. I'm thinking that fondant flowers on regular icing could be just amazing. Maybe I can talk our bride into that. And I'm going to be trying marshmallow fondant, so maybe that's tastier. It just seems a shame to put so much effort into frosting you can't eat!

Melissa said...

Wowza! So cool!

Cindy said...

It looks like you're going to do great! Fondant is so pretty when done well, but taste still trumps looks for me every time.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin