09 10

03 January 2015

Link Roundup: Homeschool Inspiration

I recently hit up a Classical group and a Charlotte Mason group for some bloggy inspiration, as I've been feeling somewhat uninspired and distracted. They did not disappoint. I'm having a lovely time browsing around and seeing what the girls are doing. Here are some of the things that caught my eye. Certainly not an exhaustive list of the lovely things I've looked at; these are only the ones that I think might be helpful in our home.

Over at AfterThoughts, Brandy has some great examples from her family's notebooks. Her kids are a bit older than mine, but still, there are some similarities. It was really nice to see her pictures because I often have that nagging voice in the back of my mind: I'm doing it wrong, or not enough, or... But her blog was well recommended in the group, and her stuff doesn't look so different from mine. She's got a whole series on notebooking that I want to dig into a little deeper.

This tutorial on how to print out an out of print book and "bind" it into a pretty convincing book-like-object is pretty cool. I'm excited; those older books are often very high quality writing, but they can be harder to find -- and expensive when you do. I am in the process of printing and binding my first one, to see how it goes. I'll post pictures; so far so good. I'm trying it out Secrets of the Wood, one of Ambleside's recommendations for Nature Study/science in 3rd grade.

I'd never given serious consideration to memorizing a timeline. But there are some pretty compelling reasons for giving it a go in this post from Golden Grasses. The reader's digest version of her post is, "Memoria est mater studiorum."

This link doesn't come from a Classical or Charlotte Mason blog, but I'm definitely interested, nonetheless: it's a podcast on raising Constitutionally literate kids. Definitely something I'm trying to do.

This video is Latin, from the Vulgate, from John. Our Latin hasn't been very productive lately: we lost some of the pieces of our curriculum and have been struggling without them. Learning this might be a good way to start getting that back on track. It was part of this post from Mt. Hope Chronicles. That post also has some cool stuff for learning the periodic table of elements. I love how she does her photos; they're so beautiful.




Come to find out, the lady that made the lovely Latin video has a great YouTube channel. Looks like there's a ton of useful stuff on there.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin