09 10

20 March 2015

Weekly Wrap-up

It's funny how often I get to late Friday or Saturday and realize that the wrap-up post I'd meant to do isn't done, and, well, oops. This week, I'm starting early, so hopefully I'll have it ready to go on Friday!

We had some good progress in math this week, with Hero working on some fractions work. 


This page turned out to be pretty difficult, and we worked on it a couple days, and did some DragonBox and other games on the other days for a break. Miquon says it goes through 3rd grade, and by that, we're probably a little bit "behind," since I don't think we'll be finished with these books by the beginning of summer, but given the actual difficulty, I'm pretty comfortable with that. We'll take our time, and then move into Singapore, probably, when Miquon is finished.

Hero's also been doing some independent reading about the Revolutionary War. He started a chapter book about Benedict Arnold - I think that I'm going to have to read that one as well, since I'm pretty vague on who he was. And, he spent a fair amount of time watching and learning from the Daddy while they built a new computer for the kids to use from parts that we mostly already had. It's so cool to watch my kids and my husband work together. I had other plans, but when I realized what nice things were happening, I just kept out of the way and let them do their thing. They worked on the computer, and they also made some big progress on getting Hero's first Pinewood Derby car ready for the big race next week. (One of these days, I'm going to have to look up the word "derby." I think Cub Scouts is pretty much the only context that I ever see it in, and I have no idea what it means, other than cute little wooden cars the boys make.)

Dragon has been doing good things, too, this week. His reading is coming along nicely; he can do the Bob Books pretty well now. And his violin lesson this week was easily the best that he's ever had. He was so excited to show his teacher what he'd been doing that he ran in and started opening his case while she and I were still chatting, which just doesn't happen: she has to compete for his attention with her daughter, who is just Dragon's age, and violin lessons just don't usually compete very well with the fun games they make up! But this week, he was excited. So he made some big progress.

We had a fantastic week for nature study. It was a good visit out to the pond. We saw our first wooly bear caterpillar of the season, though I'm not sure if it counts, since it was in the parking lot, partly squished, but the kids were excited about finding it. And we got to look at the ice, and the way that it grabs onto the sticks on the pond with all the freezing and thawing and freezing again that we're doing. And the kids found some of what we think might be wild raspberry canes at the park. I'm wondering if there isn't a way that we can get a little piece to grow at home without disturbing what's at the park, but I don't know. I need to talk to the park people. Then, when we got home, we spent some more time looking at the nest cams. The Bald Eagles were quite active today; we think they might be close to hatching time. And the Barn Owls were eating lunch and copulating. It was a big day on the nest cams, though Dragon was really disappointed that we couldn't find any Ospreys to watch.




 

4 comments:

Anne Chovies said...

You never heard of the Kentucky Derby? That's probably the most famous one that comes to mind. You'll have to be sure to post pictures when Hero does the derby. Those were some fun times. I'll be interested to see what his car looks like. Maybe I'll have to look some more to see if I can find the pictures from when your sibs did that.

Ritsumei said...

Sadly, the derby was this last Thursday... Hero had a fever. We sent his car, though, and it got 2nd in its heat! I'll have to see about posting a couple of the pictures my friend took for him.

claireshomeeducation said...

Sounds like a fabulous week. I felt quite nostalgic when you talked about your pond. I do miss our pond. Doing nature study in the garden is proving hard because we don't ever have to make a special effort to go out as it is always there. Inevitably we just keep saying tomorrow but tomorrow never comes!

Ritsumei said...

That's one of the reasons why we have an official park with an official day where we meet with real people: to get it done! Nature Study is fabulous, but it sure can be hard to get done.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin