09 10

01 February 2006

About Alito

So, they've confirmed Justice Alito. Here's an article on Newsday.com that I read, with a very nice photo gallery (including the photo below) from the confirmation hearings.

Newsday.com: amid bitter split, Senate OK's Alito


I am very pleased that the fillibuster was blocked - Justice Alito deserved to be voted on. Fillibusters seem to be a trick that is trotted out anytime that the Democrats think they are about to lose, and they are not fair to the nominees, and even less fair to the American People. (I'm sure the Republicans will be just as bad the next time they're the minority.)

I am cautiously pleased that Justice Alito was, in fact, confirmed. In a lot of ways, I'm holding my final decision until I see some of his decisions. In reality, I doubt that most Americans are able to follow the proceedings very well. I did well in school, I have a college education, and yet when I was trying to listen to the Senate's hearings on NPR I couldn't listen for very long, largely because between the Senators sounding more like Inquisitors and the fact that mostly they were talking in legalese, it was very difficult to listen to. Unfortunately, I am not aware of any Babelfish sites that translate from legalese into common English, and I don't really trust the media's interpretation to be fair or objective. I am, however, comforted by the American Bar Association giving him a rating of "well-qualified" for the position. After doing some reading on Wikipedia about the Federalist Society, which Justice Alito is a member of, I am a little more confident that he will intrpret the law, rather than try to become a legislator as many judges have been doing recently. In spite of all the fuss and hype around this, I suspect that when push comes to shove, Justice Alito will do a pretty good job.

Wikipedia: Samuel A. Alito Jr.
SourceWatch: Samuel A. Alito, Jr.
UporDownVote.com

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin