09 10

09 February 2006

Playing with Words

Check this out. It's an entire blog on the difference that just a few words can, and does make, in the impressions and attitudes that a news article can leave with its reader.

CNN vs. FOX, etc.: Gonzales: Domestic Eavesdropping OR Terrorism Surveillance

It fascinates me, how 2 atricles on something can be so similarly factual, and yet leave you with completely opposite feels. I am so much more comfortable with "terrorism surveillance" than with "domestic eavesdropping" - but they're really the same thing. One of my early English teachers called this sort of thing "purr words" and "snarl words," and I'm thinking that may have been one of the most significant English lessons that I had. It's certainly the one that I've remembered the longest, unless you count all those 8th grade english classes where I watched the clock's second hand go around, just to have something to do.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin