09 10

17 December 2006

Which One is What & What One is Which

So, one of the big questions we face is "What sort of homeschooling do we want to do?" So far the answer is, "I really don't know." In my wandering around the internet, I have noticed that there are nearly as many ways to homeschool as there are homeschooling families.

Early in my research into how to homeschool I was a bit intrigued by unschooling but A's just not into that idea, so we're still looking. School-at-home doesn't appeal much: it seems like that's an OK way to do things occasionally, but you sure don't read much about people loving it. On the contrary, there seems to be a large number of folks out there that started out with school-at-home and then moved on to some other style. It's also often pegged as being cost-prohibitive. Unit studies looks somewhat promising. It makes sense to build Monkey's education in the things he needs to know around the things he wants to know.

Here's one that looks interesting, one I hadn't heard of before: Classical homeschooling. It's supposed to be ancient - from the Middle Ages - and develop reason, record, research, relate, and rhetoric skills. Hmmmm. Going to have to look into that one a little more.

One of the ladies at church, after hearing A speak today, is going to give me some information on a Principle Approach. She's sending me an email with some information, but while I wait for that I thought I'd poke around online some to see what I can come up with. It looks interesting. This seems to be a main portal for this method.

Good thing the Little Monkey's so small. Plenty of time remains before the selection of a starting method is really critically important.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin