09 10

28 October 2010

Windsday

When we arrived at the park it was windy and just starting to sprinkle a bit. I nearly tuned around and brought us home again, but remembered reading somewhere that you'll see different things in inclement weather nature study, and we were well bundled, so I decided to give it a go.

The first thing we talked about was the wind. It was so strong! Monkey loved it. I did too. It was brisk and invigorating! I showed him how I like to spread my arms and lean into it, which he thought was pretty funny. Soon, we noticed seeds on the ground. Soft fluffy things that were whisked right away by all that wind. Monkey liked that, so he picked up several as we walked, then let them fly away into the wind. When we started going through the tall grass, I realized we'd been playing with milkweed seeds. We had a look at the plants; touched the seeds and checked out the texture on the pods. Wikipedia has some interesting tidbits on milkweed. I've added the plant to my herb-garden wishlist!





I was pleasantly surprised to find a few flowers are still blooming this late in our season.



We stopped for a while and played on some equipment. Monkey was loving that!



I left Raven in his carseat which I lugged along with us, and he slept through all the fun, snug as a bug in a rug.



I'm so glad that I didn't let the wind and a few sprinkles deter us from going! We had a wonderful time! And that was particularly nice, since it's been probably six months that we haven't been doing much if any nature study, and Monkey had forgotten that he likes it. But this trip was such a success!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin