09 10

25 September 2016

White Chicken Chili

A friend of mine asked me the other day about some ideas for easy, healthy recipes. After we talked a bit, I suggested that she get friendly with her crockpot - so many crockpot recipes involve little more than dumping things in, then ignoring them a while, but they're so delicious, and it's easy to make them healthy. And I promised to go through my pinterest board for crockpots and pick out some likely recipes to start with. Here's the first one I've come up with:


White Chicken Chili
based on Crock Pot Chicken Chili by Budget Savy Diva

1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can sweet corn, with juice
1 can fire roasted tomatoes (or other diced/crushed tomatoes) with juice
1 package ranch dressing mix
1 tsp cumin
1 Tbs chili powder
1 tsp onion powder
8oz cream cheese (full fat tastes best - and fat is not the enemy)
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 onion, diced
1-2 Tbs diced garlic (be generous, it's yummy)
1-2 Tbs olive oil

In a skillet, heat oil over med-low heat. Add diced onion, then garlic, and cook slowly until the onion is a little transparent, around 8-10 minutes. Set your crockpot to low, add everything, putting the cream cheese on top. Cook for 6-8 hours. Shred chicken with two forks.


You can easily convert this to a quick one-pot dinner by using canned chicken, and if you don't have one of the spices, it's probably going to be fine without it; I made it the other day and forgot to add a bunch: ranch dressing, cumin, chili powder, onion powder... all the powdered spices. I got distracted. It was still yummy. And when I make it with the "right" spices, it'll almost seem like a whole different dish.

1 comment:

Anne Chovies said...

We might have to try this. I've had "white chili" or some variations before and it's been good. This one sounds good to me.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin