09 10

13 March 2013

Poetic Narrations

I came to it late, but I'm learning to enjoy poetry, and more than just Shel Silverstein or Jack Prelutsky. I've read poems to my boys on and off for our read alouds, and they like it too. But I'd never really made a study of poetry, or looked at any particular author. I want to have favorite poems, but I don't. At least, not yet. That may change.

Tonight I ran across this: Poetic Narration, posted over at Charlotte Mason Help. Here's the heart of the idea:

Once you have exposed your child to a wide variety of good poetry and they have learned to enjoy it, then they are old enough to begin poetic narrations. For us, that was around 11 or 12 years of age. My children really enjoy these. I simply ask them to write a narration about a specific passage, but it must be written as a poem. When they become comfortable with this, I add another requirement- copy the style of a recent poet they have studied or are currently studying.


Hero's not ready for this just yet. I'm tempted to try it out myself, though I'll have to start by assigning us some poetry to read. I'm taking suggestions.

2 comments:

misskate said...

I don't know many, but I absolutely love Emily Dickinson.

Also, ee cummings is a fun one; he plays with punctuation and word spacing.

Ritsumei said...

Cool. I'm going to have to look for them. Both are names I've seen come up elsewhere as well.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin