09 10

05 January 2007

Some Tasty Reading

Every now & then, "baby shower" gifts trickle in. The most recent was a gift certificate to the Children's Bookshop, which my girlfriend owns. We got some fun stuff today: an abacus (OK, maybe my friend is right & it's a bit old for him, but there's lots besides counting that you can do with those beads!), a fun wooden caterpillar toy, and 2 books: How Do Dinosaurs Count to Ten? and Eating the Alphabet.

Dinosaurs first. This one would have jumped into my cart, had I had one. It's got such improbable things as a T-Rex cuddling a teddy bear. What's not to love? I didn't realize it until I got home with it, but each dinosaur is also named in small print. I'm sure the Monkey will know all the dino's names at some point! Who knows, maybe this book will launch our first unit.

Of course, Eating the Alphabet could also launch a unit. There's tons of tasty stuff in there that I have already eaten, but also quite a bit of things that I haven't eaten, and a few I've never heard of! What's kind of neat is that she's written the names of the foods in capital and small letters. I'll have to ask my Mom (a kindergarten teacher) if she's familiar with this one. This book is one that I first heard of in Homeschooling: Year by year.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin