09 10

03 June 2007

Motherhood as a Sonnet

Some people see such commitment as a restriction. I prefer to think of it as a form, like as sonnet is a form for poetry. When you write a poem, you can do it any way you like, of course, but if you choose to make it a sonnet you have automatically imposed upon yourself a certain rhyme scheme and a rhythmic pattern. Step outside the form, and you will not have a sonnet.

Given that restriction, why would anyone choose to write a sonnet in preference to, say, a poem in free verse? The beauty of it is that when you are working within the set parameters of the sonnet form, you have to choose your words more carefully. You have to be more economic and selective with your syllables. Every word settles into a certain, inevitable spot, and when that spot is right, the poem is almost alive. The joy of writing a sonnet that really works is well worth the effort it takes to do so.

When you choose mothering, you've chosen a form for your life. You have instantly imposed upon yourself a certain level of responsibility. You will have to choose more carefully where to put your resources, particularly your time and energy and probably your money as well. but as those elements settle into spots that seem right, your family comes to life and there is joy in it.
-Emily Watts, Being the Mom: Ten coping strategies I learned by accident because I had children on purpose, page 123-124


I liked this. Then I went out and looked up the rules of sonnets so I could write a poem about Mothering. Sonnets are tricky. It's not something that I'm going to be able to do in an evening, sort of "real quick." I looked up and re-learned what is iambic pentameter. I'm certain I knew that once before, but I couldn't remember how it went. And then I started. Only the rhyming scheme was getting in my way. Anyway, I didn't get the sonnet written. But the more I looked at the sonnet structure, the more what she was saying made sense. And the more I liked it.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin