09 10

18 December 2007

New Blogs in my Blogroll!

I've spent some very happy hours recently reading new blogs that I've browsed across recently. The one I found today is the Herbwife's Kitchen. She's got some very interesting stuff on her blog! For instance, there's the recipe for a yogurt & green tea face scrub or there's the flaxseed hair gel. I don't use gel, but some of my family does. Too bad I've already got presents for everyone! I started thinking about homemade gifts a little too late this season. It's probably just as well, because with being sick & everything else that's been going on, I'm behind on the stuff that I was already making. But maybe next year I'll try the completely homemade Christmas.

I also visited several craft blogs - one was Sew Green, where I ran across the idea of the 100 Mile Diet. That one's not a blog, but it is interesting. They decided one day to only eat food that was grown within 100 miles of their home. Wow. I'm thinking that a little bit of that would be nice, but I may ease into it a little more than what it sounds like they did! I don't want to eat that many potatoes! I also checked out By Sun and Candlelight. Dawn's blog is a lot of fun to read! I got a peek into the fun things she's doing with her boys for the Christmas season, and a look at a variant on the Advent calendar that I'd like to try next year or the year after - when Monkey's old enough to actually care.

Fish in My Hair is just a good ROFLOL sort of blog! Check her out - she's been telling about their computer trouble and it's hilarious!! May I someday learn to have that much of a sense of humor! (Not that my husband would take 3 weeks & 3 external hard drives & a new computer to back up i-Tunes, or ever wish to be the Grand Poobah System Administrator. He's cool that way.)

5 comments:

Keeley said...

I found the "100 mile diet" to be really interesting - and apropos as just lately I have been reading "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle". I'm finding it very interesting reading despite its irritating condescending holier-than-thou preachiness. The idea is an admirable one, and I think considering the Word of Wisdom, a very wise and healthy one.

D&C 89: 10-11
And again, verily I say unto you, all wholesome herbs God hath ordained for the constitution, nature, and use of man—
Every herb in the season thereof, and every fruit in the season thereof; all these to be used with prudence and thanksgiving.


I'm just wondering how the heck to afford it. =D

Ritsumei said...

Yep, I think that there's a lot in those couple verses that is often overlooked. The thing is, it takes SKILLS to be able to do much with that sort of thing. One thing that eating local would do is it would *make* you learn what's seasonal and what's not. I've got a better idea than I used to, but I know I still need to improve. There's a dairy farm that a friend gets her milk from that's not really very far. And I just discovered this afternoon that picked up some directions for making cheese & yogurt at some point. So maybe I'll try that sort of thing. Who knows, maybe the farmer would also sell me eggs. That sort of thing would be a start. If I could find some nice pumpkin recipes, that would help too: Andy likes pumpkin pie a LOT, so anything that resembles it is likely to be a good bet. But other than that, I'm really not sure where to START. And don't get me started on the bees/wasps/scary yellow-and-black flying things at the farmer's market! They freak me right out!!

Keeley said...

Yes! Skills and money. Both things I don't have. =D

Were you able to get milk and eggs from the farmer? Did you try making cheese etc? Apparently it's easy to make. I don't know though. Is it cheaper to make? Cheese is kind of expensive.

Ew icky! Are there tons of bugs at your farmer's market? Gross!

There is a permanent stall type farmer's thing set up down the road from us that has hideous gross bugs galore all over it. However, the farmer's market that just sets up on Saturdays is a lovely clean place - thank goodness.

Ritsumei said...

I keep forgetting to talk to her, but we're having dinner at her house this Sunday, so then I should be able to ask her, if I remember. It should be interesting: I think they only drink raw milk...

The bugs at our farmer's market are pretty much limited to just the bees and wasps. But I'm SO afraid of them that it's not even funny. It's a Saturday only kind of market; they close down one of the main streets downtown and it's full of people there's street musicians and veggie/craft/photography/food/jewelry stalls all over the place. Most cool. Except that the bees Freak. Me. Out.

Keeley said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who gets freaked out by bugs. =)

Did you drink the raw milk? How did it go? =)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin