09 10

19 April 2010

A Bloggy Discovery

A friend posted on facebook late last night, about the abuse the Constitution is taking from the Federal Court over the "Day of Prayer". In looking at the article, I found myself looking at the blog, and liking what I saw. He posted this video a while back:



And in honor of tax day, he has some tax day quotes. My favorite? This one:


“I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents.”--James Madison


But I think my favorite from his blog thus far is this bit on how principle is so much more important than position when dealing with politics.


However, one's personal feelings should never guide policy and never trump the protection of liberty. Yes, personal feelings are at play in any matter. They inform our decision making processes and are important in a number of ways. But in the ultimate scheme of things, principle--not preference--should be the deciding factor in all we do.


This idea of principles over preference would be a huge benefit to the nation, could we get Washington to go there. Of course, We The People would have to have some idea of what the principle is, and that's going to involve some self-education, as the Constitution is not taught in schools in any meaningful way. So, what are your guiding principles? What is the underlying standard that you judge a bill by? For myself, I love the principles laid out in Ezra Taft Benson's essay, The Proper Role of Government.


Featured Blogger

1 comment:

Daryl said...

Thanks for the shout out. I appreciate it greatly!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin