09 10

11 January 2008

Baby Steps Preschool: lesson 13

We have continued with school activities, but in a haphazard sort of way and it's time to get back into the swing of things with some planning and preparing. Monkey is almost 16 months now, and can do more and more things; it's so much fun!

One area we need to improve on is Bible study. I have not been very good about actually using the stories that I've been picking out, and I need to figure out a way to actually work those into what we're doing. I want the Monkey to be just as familiar with Bible stories as he is with Book of Mormon stories, and right now I'm not doing a very good job of teaching them. Any suggestions? Because I haven't actually done anything with the stories that I picked last time, I'm keeping them for this time.

I'm adding a poem to the selections for the week. The poetry tape idea is still one that I'd like to pursue, perhaps with an exchange with other Moms, but I don't want to just read them onto a tape because I'm not very excited about hearing my own voice during the day. I'd like to find someone else, either family or friend or something, to read several poems onto a tape. In the mean time, until I figure out how to do that, I think I'll get out one of my binders and print out a poem or two each time and put it in there. Monkey really likes the "Gospel ABC Book" that I've been putting together for him. He grabs it and there is a right way to read it: on a lap. He's also constantly into my binders, so I know that he'll be interested in that sort of format. It's possible that something similar would work well for the Bible study, say, coloring sheets in page protectors in a binder. It's something to consider anyway. Maybe I can talk Aunt Kate into helping me out with any stories that I have a hard time finding existing color pages for. Hmmm. An idea worth considering. There's also always the flannel board. But making the pictures is difficult. I need to come up with a better way if that's going to be the main method. Aunt Emma gave us several for Christmas and they're great, so maybe I'll also talk to her about how she went about making them.

-----------------------

Fiction:
Week 1: Green Eggs & Ham by Dr. Seuss
Week 2: You're All My Favorites by Sam McBratney

Nonfiction:
Week 1: Animal Questions & Answers: Bears by Fertl, Reddy & Stoops (part 1)
Week 2: Animal Questions & Answers: Bears (part 2)

Read Aloud:
The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood by Howard Pyle, chapter 3

Poem: Above the Bright Blue Sky, by Albert Midlane

Bible:
Week 1: Jacob and Esau (Genesis 25-27)
Week 2: Jacob's Ladder/Abrahamic Covenant (Genesis 28)

Book of Mormon:
Enos, Jarom, Omni

Classical Music:
Piano Please! CD. Lots of Beethoven on this one.

Game: block tower destruction - Monkey got new blocks for Christmas and this game is a joy to him right now!


Art: finger painting (or we may try watercolors).


Around the House: helping empty the dishwasher (basically, he hands me the dishes he can get out, almost faster than I can get them put away!)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin