09 10

10 January 2008

Fun Holidays

Cocoa listed several of her favorite odd holidays and observances that they plan to celebrate this year and I thought it was a fun idea so I'm picking out a few to add to our calendar too. I thought about 1 a month would be a good amount of unusual days to observe with the Monkey.

January 23: National Peanut Butter Day. This sounds delicious! Maybe make some peanut butter cupcakes, I don't know what exactly. But it's sure to be tasty.

February 18: Play-Doh Day. I've got some, but we haven't played with it very much yet. This would be a good day to try again!

March 2: Dr. Seuss's Birthday. Books! I love Dr. Seuss! This will be a great day to read a bunch of his stuff and maybe try doing something very silly. Since this one is on a Sunday, we may do a "Dr. Seuss's Birthday Observed" on the 3rd.

April 22: Earth Day. It's not very original, but there should be some fun activities out there to do with a Small Monkey.

May 5: Museum Lover's Day> There's a children's museum plus some other ones relatively locally that I've had my eye on. This would be a good day to take the Monkey to one of them.

The first week of May is also National Postcard week, which could be fun to do something with as well.

June 13: National Juggling Day. I wanted to learn to juggle for this last year, but it's a project that took longer than I had expexted, so maybe this year if I start now I can be ready in time!

July 9: Sugar Cookies Day. We got very cool dinosaur cookie puzzle cutter at the Cinnicnatti Children's Museum, this would be a great day to use it! And by then the Monkey will be a bit bigger & motr able to "help."

August 11: Play in the Sand Day. Sounds like a visit to the lake to me. But it reminds me that I'd wanted to get a sand-and-water table some time this winter to have for next summer...

September 17: Constitution Day. Commemorates the signing of the Constitution. He'll be just a few days shy of 2 years old by then. Hopefully between now & then I'll come up with something the Monkey can do with me for this one!

October 28: National Chocolate Day. What's not to love??

November 4: King Tut's Tomb Discovered. I'm sure we can come up with something cool for this one. And it seems like a good fit, since the idea is to start with ancient history in a few years. Why not catch a little for fun ahead of then?

December 17: Wright Brother's Day. We've already got a book about the Wright Brothers we could read, and maybe visit an air museum or make flying machine.


I got my ideas from here and here and here.

And, the Fluffernutter. Just one of the odd things I ran across making this list. It's even got a Day (Oct. 8).


Are you doing anything with a wacky holiday this year?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin