09 10

09 November 2009

Oops! Thrifted Library Book

I stopped by the thrift shop again today. We were looking for warm stuff for Monkey to wear. I hoped to find him another flannel to wear, "like Bob the Builder." We didn't find any clothes today, but I did get another stack of books. It's a good mix this time: some classics, some fiction, some non-fiction. And a library book. Yeah, that's right. I bought a library book at the thrift shop. Oops. I guess someone wasn't quite paying attention. I didn't realize it until I got home and started putting my books into Shelfari. I got looking at the book, Cool Chemistry Concoctions: 50 Formulas that Fizz, Foam, Splatter & Ooze, and I didn't see anything on it that looked like it was withdrawn. So I called up the library. It's listed as "long overdue." The librarian got a good laugh out of it. So I guess we'll have a field trip to the other library on the south end of town to return their wayward book. Too bad I still didn't find my own library book that's lost. Too bad it's not the same library and I can't get them to cancel my debt with this return. Oh well. At least I get to keep the rest of the books. Here's what I got this time:

O. Henry's Gift of the Magi and other stories
Figure Skating: Championship Techniques
The Boxcar Children #1: The Boxcar Children
Charlotte's Web
A Picture Book of Benjamin Franklin
Hans Christian Anderson's Thumbelina, retold by Amy Ehrlich
Simple Science Experiments with Circles
The Book of Elephants
DK Eyewitness Books: Baseball
Getting to Know the World's Greatest Artists: Da Vinci
Coral Reefs: Facts, Stories, Activites

The grand total: about $3. Not too shabby.

6 comments:

Becky said...

I see a couple of my favorites in there. Good work!

Unknown said...

So lucky to find the art book. I keep looking for them but never have any luck.

Jenni said...

I loved reading the Boxcar Children! Good finds....

Ritsumei said...

Yeah, I'm pretty pleased about today's haul, and you just can't beat a pile of books like that for right about $3! It was better than I usually do. They had the kids' books at 2 for $.25. Can't argue with that! The Ice Skating book was easily the most expensive, at $1.75.

Traveler - I haven't actually read the Boxcar Children, but it's on the 1000 Good Books list, so I grabbed it. For $.13, it's hard to go wrong. =D

Julie said...

Boxcar Children is awesome. I re-read those every couple of years. They've also recently been reissued in new hardcover, I think.

Ehrlich's adaptation of Thumbelina is illustrated by Susan Jeffers, who is one of the best children's illustrators in my opinion. I've got The Snow Queen illustrated by Jeffers and would love a large version of the pictures decorating my walls.

Fun story about the library book! Library books do get squirreled away in random places and the stories of how the books get back to the library can be really amazing. The person who has it out should be totally happy that you're making the effort to return the book they should've kept track of! That is positive library karma in your favor, which means something should work out for you too!

Dorine said...

Great haul on books!! I love the library book story!! :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin