09 10

14 October 2007

Memorization Technique

Recently, I have been feeling like I should know more scriptures. There are so many people out there who have just a wealth of God's word, not just at their fingertips, but always with them, embedded in their minds. But memorization has always been a struggle for me. I don't do it well on the piano, I struggle with scripture mastery verses: the ones I learned in Seminary have all been forgotten now, I don't have many poems memorized, struggle even to remember names of people I should know at church. But I've been wanting to learn some of these verses that the Lord has given us. In addition to the gospel, there is so much beautiful, poetic language in the scriptures! But where does someone like me start...

Well, over at Simply Charlotte Mason they have a system. Looks like it would work, if I just remember to do it. Make it a habit. Charlotte would approve of the habit idea, I think. Just before they give the instructions on how to memorize the verses, and right after they encourage you to include some longer passages, they say this:

Don’t worry about how many days it takes for everyone to memorize the selected Scripture. Hiding God’s Word in your heart is not a race; it’s a lifelong habit.


What a lovely way of looking at things!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin