09 10

02 October 2007

Phases of the Moon: Day 6

Still cloudy. In fact, the Weather Underground is predicting clouds for the next several days - Friday at least. I tried both last night and this morning to locate the moon and again couldn't even find the bright spot in the clouds that gives away where the moon is. I'll try again tonight, but I doubt that there's going to be much change: we have a pretty thick blanket of clouds out there and it's been sprinkling off and on. I may be doing this for 2 months to get the pictures that I wanted to get!

Today I headed over to Nasa.gov for my moon education. I found some really cool pictures - there's one of the Jupiter, Earth, and the Moon taken from Mars - they have a drawing of how the planets were lined up for them to get that one and everything. I think that the neatest thing here is that the Earth is at quarter phase!

Also interesting, it looks like they're planning to do more expeditions to the Moon - and set up housekeeping! They've got some pretty cool concept drawings for Moon Cars that have space suits attached to the outside, so the astronauts could go from their cozy little car, hop into a space suit, and walk around a bit to do what astronauts do on the Moon, and then reattach the suits to the car, crawl out, and keep on driving. Pretty exciting.

The last thing that I'm going to post for this today is this really interesting video taken by the Ranger 9 in 1965 as it was purposefully crashed into the moon. They've got a lot of the pictures it took worked into a video so you can see what it looks like to dive toward the moon. You can see the mountains in the middle of the craters and everything! Give it a minute to load, then the picture on the left starts moving.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin