09 10

13 December 2008

Fascinating Stuff

I've been browsing through scriptures.byu.edu looking at what the Brethren have to say about the Tower of Babel in preparation for my Sunday School lesson, and I happened upon this from Elder Orson Hyde:


A thorough knowledge of our own mother tongue is an important key to that wide field of usefulness which in this day more especially invites the energies and enterprise of the rising generation than at any former period in the history of the world. By some, the inspiration of God is considered to supersede the necessity of this and every other science. On this erroneous principle some of you may act, and require me to impart to you a knowledge of our language without any mental labor on your part. This I would not do, if I could; for I do not want this class dishonored with one drone in the hive. I intend to do my duty, and shall expect you to do yours. Although I thus speak, I do not believe that anyone of you entertains any such opinion. Persons of this faith will not come here for the object that has called you out. It is true that God generally calls upon the illiterate or unlearned to bear his name and testimony to the world. In this, the policy of our Heavenly Father differs materially from that of the world. Under his policy, none can say that the important truths which the servant of God is required to declare are the result of his great or superior learning. But the question with me is, Must the servant of God always remain an unpolished shaft in the quiver of the Almighty? I answer, No. The Spirit of God directs improvement in everything that is good and useful. If any doubt this, consider what our leading men were when called, and then consider what they now are!

Read more...




Can I just take a minute & say what an amazing resource this website is?! It's the first place I go look for further explanation of passages in the scriptures when I want further clarification.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin