09 10

08 October 2009

Weekly Wrap-Up



So! This week, in school, we've done some fun stuff. Monkey and I played several phonics games. I made tried out my first file folder game, and we're getting the hang of playing it. This game is a capital and small letter matching game. Happy Phonics has 8 steps. We're working on steps 2 and 3 (big letters & small letters match; letters have sounds). He's had the sounds of the letters down for a while now, but the matching of the letters is proving a little difficult, once they are separated. Particularly those pesky b's and d's. I made another folder game for this and after only playing once or twice he's doing better. This is good since he's starting to show interest in step 4: blending. One thing that I love about the Well-Trained Mind is this:


Many of the phonics programs we examined insist that you combine writing with reading. In other words, teach the child the consonants and the sound of a, but don't go on to the next step until the child is able both to read and write sat, cat, fat, bat.

We think this tends to frustrate very young readers. Remember, you want the child to read quickly, easily, and early. Many children are ready to read long before they have the muscular coordination to write. Why delay reading until the muscles of the hand and eye catch up? (Well Trained Mind, 38, emphasis added)

That's very much been the way of it at our house. Monkey loves to read, and he likes to play the letter games. If the interest is there, I say do it. The folder games are extras for more practice and variety; we also did some of the "official" games from the program. In addition to the intended use of the folder games, we have discovered that they double nicely as "computers" and he's been "typing" lots of "letters" to various family members. Oh - and we've very nearly finished up our "D Book." I'm running short on good d words, so if you've got a good one, leave me a comment please! Monkey keeps gluing them on pages that already have a word or two, so it's taking lots more words than I anticipated to fill the book.

For math, I'm struggling to come up with any particular plan. This doesn't seem to bother Monkey much at all. He's getting pretty good at counting to 10, and regularly continues on past 10: "11, 12, 14, 16, 17, 20, 30, 40..." What I want is a copy of the text my Mom uses in her Kindergarten classroom. She loves it, but she didn't think it was available for homeschoolers. I need to check on that. I don't know that I'd use it in a sit-down-and-do-page-3 sort of way, but more in a turn the principle into a game sort of way. Monkey's too little for worksheets! But I'd like to do some more math with him.

We didn't do any outdoorsy nature study things this week. Well, he did go to the orchard with his daddy to pick up more apples for me, but they were just deer apples, not the ones that you pick yourself, so it hardly counts. However, he DID do an impressive amount of apple peeling in the course of my canning!

Mom's Ed:
I spent some time this week working on my study of Sumer, which is interesting, but not as interesting as Çatalhöyük. That was pretty much all I did toward my own education though, as I spent a HUGE amount of time canning apples with my friends. Yummy.

5 comments:

Cheryl Pitt said...

I've never seen a folder game. Every week I see something new on this meme! You'd think I never homeschooled anyone before :) That looks like a fun way to learn. I will keep that in mind for my Littlest.

You preserves (I think) look yummy. I want to learn to can so badly...I just always run out of time *sigh*

http://crispy-not-crunchy.blogspot.com/2009/10/wwu-much-better-than-last-week.html

Anonymous said...

I used to love doing file folder games with my kids. I am very much in agreement with TWTM that kids are ready to learn and memorize things often long before they're ready to put them into practical use -- and it pays off! I think my younger two are going to have a much easier time with grammar as they go along simply because they memorized so many rules and parts of speech definitions at a young age.

When my guys were little, we bought the Horizons K math stuff and just used it as a spine -- as you said, for the principals. They did work through the pages, but at a much slower pace, taking two years, rather than one.

Thanks for joining the Wrap-Up this week!

Ritsumei said...

Cheryl - I was given a book of file folder games, which has lots of fun ideas, reproducible stuff so if you loose a piece it's annoying but not the end of the world. I just made up the b-d game though, since he couldn't tell them apart. I figure that it's more fun than just trying to drill the words with flashcards or something. As for the canning, it's easy, particularly the jelly. Check with your local county extension office if you're in the USA, they've got good recipes. Or look for the Ball Blue Book, which is great. Jelly is just juice, sugar, and (sometimes) pectin. Just make sure to follow the directions carefully and you'll be fine!

WU Mom - I'm headed back over to Mom's classroom to look at her student editions. I called Houghton Mifflin today to see if I can get the books, and I can have their Math Expressions student books any time I want. But I have to have my homeschooling paperwork in order to get the teacher's edition... I think. And it'll be several years before I do any of that sort of paperwork; Monkey's 3, and in this state he'll be nearly 7 before I have to do any paperwork. Good thing the early stuff is so easy! Mom loves Math Expressions, and when I looked at it it looked like it was probably as good as she said, and would work well at home, I think. But I really need to look at it again. Otherwise, I'll probably have a look at the one you recommend... I just hate that you have so little opportunity to look and touch before you spend all that money on text books!

JessB said...

File folder games are a great idea. I have to admit, I just haven't taken the time to put very many together. I seem to always get caught up in other busy work.

The canning looks great. Another thing I have wanted to try, just haven't gotten around to it....

www.homeschoolblogger.com/openmeadows

Anonymous said...

I used to can with my grandparents and I really miss it! Hope to do it again some day.

Looks like school is fun and educational at the same time! That is great.

Sherry

http://educatingemme.blogspot.com/2009/10/weekly-wrap-up.html

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin