09 10

17 June 2009

Pie Crust

Miss Liss, over at Fascinating Woman, is making pie. When she said that it'd taken her five hours to make it I was shocked! Then she posted all the fussy things her recipe says she ought to do. So I said I'd post my crust recipe. Sadly, I haven't made any pies recently, so I don't have any pretty pictures. Just an assurance that it does indeed make an easy, quick pie crust. Even my "no bread, super thin crust" man will eat this stuff.

Single Crust
1 c sifted flour
1/3 c shortening
3 Tbs cold water, brimming
1/2 tsp salt

With pastry blender, chop flour, shorting & salt until it looks like a coarse meal. Add water and chop with pastry blender until no dry flour remains. Press together in wax paper and roll out. The recipe says to do it on a floured pastry cloth, but I always just roll it out right between the wax paper that I used to press the last of the flour in. Roll it out, then fold in quarters and roll it out again. Peel one side of the wax paper off, invert over the pie pan, peel the other wax paper off; trim to size. It says to bake at 450 for 10 min, then 325 till done, but I always just use the time on the pumpkin jars, since I'm usually making pumpkin pie, which is baked in an unbaked pie crust.

Double Crust
1 1/2 c flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c shortening
4 Tbs cold water.

Pretty much the same as before, only you divide this one for upper and lower crusts. Same baking instructions as above.

1 comment:

h. said...

Thanks for the post. I'll try your crust on the next pie (either Sunday or Monday), then let you know how it turns out.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin