09 10

22 June 2009

Thrifted Books

A visit to Goodwill a couple of days ago resulted in a pretty good stack of new books, which I am pleased with. Here's what we got for our home library this time:

Crime & Punishment, by Fyodor Dostoevsky
*James & The Giant Peach, by Roald Dahl
*Old Yeller, by Fred Gipson
*A Midsummer Night's Dream, by William Shakespeare
The Boxcar Children #4: Mystery Ranch, by Gertrude Warner
Black Trillium, by Marion Zimmer Bradley, Julian May, & Andre Norton
The Davinci Code, by Dan Brown
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams

The starred books are ones that are on the 1000 Good Books list, so I am twice pleased with those. It all cost less than $20, even though the Hitchhiker's Guide is a huge leather bound thing with about 4 books that was almost $7 all by itself. Several of the others were on clearance for less than $1. In addition, today we visited Barnes & Nobel, and I picked up Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell, which is also on the 1000 Books list. This one is particularly exciting because I used to have a copy, but it got lost somewhere along the way. I'm thinking that it may become our next read-aloud.

4 comments:

misskate said...

Very impressive find. Yay!!

Unknown said...

Indeed you did do well. I don't suppose this trip had anything to do with your dream did it?!!

Jeannetta said...

Excellent list! It's really incredible what's out there.
Well done!

Ritsumei said...

I was pretty pleased! We also had a place that advertises half price books open up in town recently, and when I was checking them out most recently I got a couple of good ones there too. I'd been getting sort of lax on the stockpiling of the books that we'll need for Monkey's education. He's not even 3, and it feels like it's a long time until we'll be needing them, but lately that hasn't seemed like such a good idea, so I'm back to keeping an eye on the various thrift & used books shops around. It's a fun thing to do. Plus, I also recently got a children's book that's in Japanese. I haven't sat down and tried to read that one yet; that will be a whole lot of dictionary work. But I was so excited to find it! Definitely going to be keeping any eye on that store! Japanese language books are hard to find, unless you like Anime, which I don't. And children's books are doubly hard. So I was excited.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin