09 10

15 August 2008

Munchkin Nature Study

I love Charlotte Mason's nature study ideas. I think that being outside daily, rain or shine, is a wonderful goal. (I do think that 6 hours at a whack is a bit excessive.) But getting out there and being outside is a great plan. Also, it's very good for my garden, which actually gets weeded and watered relatively regularly this year. Here are some of the things we've done for nature study:


Barb's Outdoor Hour has some great ideas which can often be adapted or simplified for the very young participant. These are my posts for our participation.
Out door Hour 4: Choose a focus
Outdoor Hour 3: Drawing
Outdoor Hour 2: Use Your Words
Outdoor Hour 1: Go Outside


And sometimes we just do our own thing.
We visited some family and got to know their animals.

Monkey loves to look at my Bird Book.

Monkey is still too little for a sketch book, but I keep one off and on, and I hope to do more with it when he gets a bit bigger.

2 comments:

Tonya @ The Traveling Praters said...

I didn't do a lot of formal nature study with my kids when they were small and I can't say that we do it any more formally now, but I love spending time hiking with the kids and they always remark on something new they've found. I guess that's what is important, that they want to discover new things for themselves. Blessings, and thanks for stopping by!:)

Ritsumei said...

We've since developed a routine for doing nature study, but winter is really cramping our style right now, especially since Monkey has been catching every nasty cold that comes around this winter! But, spring is coming soon, and soon we'll be outside more.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin