09 10

09 September 2007

Article: The Honored Place of Woman

I was just telling my friend about this quote the other day, and now, while I am looking for something entirely different, I've run accross it, so I thought I'd post it so I don't loose it again before I see her. It's from President Benson's talk, "The Honored Place of Woman."

It is a fundamental truth that the responsibilities of motherhood cannot be successfully delegated. No, not to day-care centers, not to schools, not to nurseries, not to babysitters.

We become enamored with men’s theories such as the idea of preschool training outside the home for young children. Not only does this put added pressure on the budget, but it places young children in an environment away from mother’s influence.

Too often the pressure for popularity, on children and teens, places an economic burden on the income of the father, so mother feels she must go to work to satisfy her children’s needs. That decision can be most shortsighted.

It is mother’s influence during the crucial formative years that forms a child’s basic character.

Home is the place where a child learns faith, feels love, and thereby learns from mother’s loving example to choose righteousness.

How vital are mother’s influence and teaching in the home—and how apparent when neglected!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! What a great quote!

Keeley said...

Right on!!!!!

It boggles my mind when I hear people - my sister for example - talk about getting pregnant and then going back to work right after the baby's born. Why are you having a child if you're not going to raise it? Obviously I have a bit more tact than to actually SAY that to her. =Þ

I submit as my humble opinion...which, if I'm submitting it, means I'm not really humble about it eh? But that's a different subject...anyway, I submit that children need their mothers at home throughout their entire lives.

As little ones, they need their care and example

As elementary schoolers they need their Mom's active in school...either public or home. Or private, come to think of it.

Middle school is notoriously appalling, so children need their mothers there when they come home to listen and encourage them as they process the day's appalling events. Either that or they homeschool them and the kids avoid the hideousness.

Teenagers need their Mom at home as much as toddlers do. They are going through cognitive processes that means they REALLY need guidance, even though they throw tantrums as spectacularly as toddlers do. =D

Then the teenager grows up and goes to college and gets married and has children, and needs Mom around for support.

What greater work can there possibly be than that of Mother? I am sooooo grateful to my Heavenly Father that not only am I a mother, but that I have been able to stay at home with my children. What a huge blessing in this day and age. I'm so grateful for a husband that WANTS me to stay at home and isn't trying to push me out the door into a job. Hooray! =)

Thank you for this marvelous quote. =)

Ritsumei said...

I'm with you there. So many people - even good people who obviously love their children - talk about them like they're an inconvenience. With school starting, it's been particularly noticeable lately.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin